Day 4 of the throw down! We are getting so close to the end and revealing the final results! I’m excited! Today we look at the chocolate chip cookie from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
The reasons for choosing this recipe? 1. I’m a fan of the blog. 2. Some different ingredients – cornstarch and dark brown sugar as opposed to light brown sugar.
Well friends, I had high expectations for this cookie and it did not disappoint. It is soft, chewy, chocolatey and has the most perfect chocolate chip cookie taste. Like, better than store bought.
The only change I made when making these is that I used chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips. That’s what I used in most of the cookies. I’m into the chunks. These cookies would be great with chunks or chips, though. It just depends on how much chunk you like.
The two ingredients in this cookie that are a little different than most seem to be responsible for the difference in taste and texture. The cornstarch adds more lift to the cookie, so it stays nice and thick – which usually means soft and chewy. And the dark brown sugar I think really adds more flavor. It’s amazing. I don’t want to stop eating them.
As for the panel – this cookie was popular across the board with the exception of our outlier – my father-in-law. Given that he’s more of a crispy cookie guy, I’m not surprised. However he did say the flavor of the cookie was quite good.
Another big plus with this recipe is that as long as you have dark brown sugar and cornstarch on hand regularly, which I think most probably do, there aren’t any unusual ingredients going on. And it’s a very simple and straight forward dough to make.
The only thing to note was that I had to kind of make the cookies into discs a little before baked, instead of balls. They didn’t spread much for me.
Make sure you check back tomorrow for the final results and for the Cook’s Illustrated perfect chocolate chip cookie. It’s a little different in that it has browned butter in it. I was sooooo curious to see if that made a big difference – especially after the big hit that Sally’s cookie was.
THE Chocolate Chip Cookie from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips OR about 1 cup of chocolate chunks
1. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
2. Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
3. With the mixer on low speed, add flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
4. Stir in chocolate chips. Dough will be thick.
5. Chill for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Use about 1 tbsp sized balls of dough shape into a thick disc.
8. Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and bake for 8-10 minutes.You want the edges to be barely golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and let cool for a couple minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
You might also like: