I am so in love with this puppy show. It tastes awesome and is SO addicting! It’s adorable and totally festive for Valentine’s Day. It’s easy to make and inexpensive. AND, as far as sweet treats go, it’s fairly guilt free. Does it get any better?
The day I took pictures of this beautiful puppy chow, the hubs was helping me out holding some things. I was all focused on my pictures, when I hear crunching. I look up at him and he’s smiling and stuffing his face. He was in love. He declared that people were going to “love this stuff.”
That night we had some friends over and it didn’t stand a chance. Gone. He was even happier at that point because he was right. Can you be right though if I never disagreed? Oh well, I’ll let him have it.
And I’m so in love with the little boxes I put it in. I got them from World Market for 69 cents each. They are the perfect size. And the cute ribbon is out of the $1 ribbon bin at Michael’s near the register. You can also find boxes like these at Michael’s, but I’m not sure of the price and I think they are a little bigger. Either way, they make a super cute Valentine’s Day treat to give someone. And they’re a little different than the typical candy.
And again – easy peasy. You just melt the white chocolate (separately – there’s white and red), mix it into the rice chex (again separately) and coat it with the powdered sugar for the vanilla cream and with the strawberry cake mix for the strawberry. Stir in the M&Ms and bam! Perfect treat!
So go forth and make it! Then eat it all! You know you want to.
NOTE: This is not for dog consumption.
Strawberries and Cream Puppy Chow
5 oz white chocolate or white vanilla candy melts
5 oz red candy melts (Found in craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby)
5 cups rice chex cereal, divided in 2 parts
1/2 cup strawberry cake mix
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Put 2 1/2 cups rice chex cereal into a medium sized bowl.
2. Slowly melt white chocolate in the microwave, stopping it every 30 seconds or so to make sure it doesn’t burn.
3. Add melted white chocolate to chex cereal and lightly stir to coat evenly. Be careful to not break the chex cereal too much.
4. Add the powdered sugar to the white chocolate covered chex cereal and lightly stir to coat evenly with powdered sugar. You could add the chex cereal and powdered sugar to a ziplock bag, then shake, but save yourself the bag.
5. Repeat the same process with the red candy melts and strawberry cake mix (instead of the powdered sugar).
6. Allow to dry completely and then combine the two kinds of puppy chow together and add M&Ms.
You might also like: